Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Banana Snack Cake

I always seem to have over ripe bananas. I thought that I would use those up tomorrow in this kid pleasing snack cake.

Banana Snack Cake
Cake:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed banana
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
Frosting:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
6 Tbsp. milk
2 1/2 - 3 cups confectioners sugar
Cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in separate bowl and mix well. Add to the creamed mixture alternating with the buttermilk. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
To make frosting: Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool to lukewarm. Gradually beat in confectioners sugar until it reaches spreading consistency. Frost cake. Enjoy!
I have been making this cake for years, Sometimes I will throw into the cake batter a cup or two of mini chocolate chips if I have them. If you are in a hurry, it is also great without the icing! I hope your family likes it as much as mine.
I love to find new recipes. Go check out Tempt my Tummy Tuesday for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts!