Friday, January 20, 2012

Homemade Chai Tea

Years ago, one of my oldest and dearest friends introduced me to Chai tea. I am so glad that she did. I love the fragrant spiciness of this tea. I have been faithfully buying chai flavored tea bags so that I can get my fix. But no longer. Another friend shared this from scratch Chai tea recipe that has really rocked my kitchen! I have made it every day since she gave me the recipe. It is amazing! I have great friends that  introduce me to wonderful new recipes and experiences.....thank you Beth and Cathy for expanding my tea world!

Homemade Chai Tea
2 cups milk
2 cups water
4 cardamom pods, bruised (my friend showed me how to gently tap the pods with a blunt object, you don't want to crush the pod, just slightly bruise them so their flavor is released easier.)
1 whole cinnamon stick
2 whole black peppercorns
1-2 whole cloves
3 black tea bags (make sure it is straight black tea, not Earl Grey. This is important!)
1 tsp. vanilla
Honey or sugar to taste

Bring milk, water, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and cloves to a near boil. Turn off heat, add tea bags, stir and cover for 5 minutes. Remove cover and stir again. Strain and add desired amount of honey or sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts!