Thursday, April 21, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas

This Sunday is Easter Sunday. A day that my family normally gets together and enjoys watching the kids look for Easter eggs, and eat.  For the past several years, my family does what we call "Mexican Easter". My brother would make my mom's Chicken Enchiladas, Red Beef Enchiladas, homemade tortilla chips and the biggest bowl of guacamole that you can imagine. My brother and his wife have this meal down to a perfection. It is beyond sublime. I look forward to it every year. Even this year, when I know that we won't be able to go to their home after church because we live 600 miles from them. I still crave it! We have different plans this year for Easter, but you can bet that next week, I will be having some Chicken Enchiladas, Red Beef enchiladas, chips and guac. - it just won't be as good as it is in my memory! This recipe was my mom's. On her recipe card, she says to layer the tortillas, chicken, sauce and cheese, but I like them rolled.

Chicken Enchiladas

1 rotisserie chicken- shredded, or any chicken that has been cooked and chopped up
1 onion, diced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups chicken broth
1 can diced green chilies
1 1/2 dozen corn tortillas
Oil
Shredded cheddar cheese
 4 Tbsp butter or margarine

Melt butter, saute onion. Add soups, broth, and chilies. Heat through. Heat oil. Place tortillas in oil to soften them- just a few seconds on each side. Place chicken and cheese on tortilla. Roll up and place in a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Pour sauce over top and top with more cheese. Bake at 350° for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts!