Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake

It has been rainy for days here. I wish that I could say that I was exaggerating, but I am not. This morning when I woke up, I could not believe my eyes. The sun was shining! I don't know how long it will shine today, but for now, I am thankful for a beautiful morning full of sunshine!
This cake recipe is pure sunshine. Anything lemon makes me feel lighter and brighter. Perhaps it is because it is my favorite color? Or that lemons smell so fresh and clean? Regardless, this cake is awesome and a nice light ending to a meal.

Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake

1 package lemon cake mix
1 1/4 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
Zest of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. poppy seeds

Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 12 cup bundt cake pan with shortening and lightly flour. Beat cake mix, water, oil, eggs and zest.  Stir in poppy seeds. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for ten minutes. Turn pan upside down on wire rack and gently shake to remove cake. Cool completely. Spread lemon glaze over top of cake, allowing some glaze to drizzle down the sides.

Lemon Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 - 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon zest

Mix powdered sugar, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir in additional lemon juice, one teaspoon at a time, until smooth and has the consistency of a thick syrup.

Have a beautiful day.......Enjoy the sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts!