Sunday, April 7, 2013

Philly Cheese Steak Rolls

I love Philly Cheese steak sandwiches. Sadly, my boys do not. However, they loved these easy sandwiches. I am not sure if it was the flaky puff pastry rolls or the wonderful yummyness inside, but all of my kids gave these sandwiches two thumbs up I think that next time, I might saute some sliced bell peppers in with the onions.


Philly Cheese Steak Rolls
All-purpose flour
1 package frozen Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
1 package frozen sandwich steaks, Steak-umm is the brand that I used
8 slices American cheese
1 egg, beaten

Heat the oven to 400°F.
Sprinkle the flour on the work surface.  Unfold the pastry sheets on the work surface.  Roll the pastry sheets into 10-inch squares.  Cut into 8 (5-inch) squares.
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.  Remove the onion from the skillet.
Increase the heat to medium-high.  Add the sandwich steaks to the skillet and cook until the meat is no longer pink. I also give it a rough chop as I cook it, so the meat is in small pieces.
Spoon approximately 2-3 Tbsp. of the onion and 2-3 Tbsp. of the sandwich steaks on the bottom third of each pastry square.  Top each with 1 slice cheese.  Fold 2 opposite sides over the filling.  Roll up like a jelly roll.  Brush the pastries with the egg.  Place the pastries onto a baking sheet.
Bake for 20- 25 minutes or until the pastries are golden brown.  Let the pastries cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 10 minutes. 

Recipe adapted from  Pepperridge Farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts!