Monday, February 25, 2013

Chai Sugar Cookies

I think that I have mentioned before of my love and obsession of Chai tea, see here, so it was an amazing day when I found this recipe on My Baking Addiction for Chai sugar cookies. I was so excited to try these cookies out, I immediately went to my spices to make sure I had the right ingredients, and I was found that I didn't have any ground cardamom. Off I went to the store, and several stores later I finally found some ground cardamom that didn't break my piggy bank. These cookies are easy to make, super fragrant and quite delightful. If the aroma of the cardamom is to much for you, decrease the amount. My hubby thought he was eating a perfume cookie, but my boys gave them two thumbs up. I should also tell you, my sweetie is not a fan of chai- shocking, I know!

Chai Sugar Cookies
(Adapted from My Baking Addiction)
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cardamom- I used 3/4 tsp.
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a medium bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice and black pepper. Remove 1/4 cup of the sugar-spice mixture, set aside to reserve for rolling the cookies. Beat the butter and sugar-spice mixture until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla extract, combine until fully incorporated. Slowly blend in dry ingredients mixing until just combined. Roll dough into balls the size of walnuts and then roll in the reserved sugar-spice mixture. Place dough balls on baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let stand on baking sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

I apologize for the lack of a picture- my boys inhaled the cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts!