Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Potato - Cheddar Cheese Soup

I love cooking warm filling comfort food. It really is a satisfying experience for me! Soups are so easy and economical.  I had originally planned to make a Crock pot potato soup, but when I got out my potatoes yesterday, they had gone bad, so after a trip to the store to get new potatoes, and I made this version instead.

Potato- Cheddar Cheese Soup

2 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped celery
4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Dash of paprika
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In a large pot over med-high heat , melt butter; saute the celery and onion until soft. Add broth and potatoes, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender. Puree potato mixture in sauce pan with an immersion blender or if you are very careful with your hand mixer. Please be careful, it will splatter and the mixture is very HOT!! (Don't ask how I know this!) Turn heat down to low. Stir in milk and seasonings. Add cheese, but heat only until cheese is melted. Garnish with croutons, chopped green onions, diced bacon or whatever makes you happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts!